Here is a different take on a Mexican favorite, soul food enchiladas. I’ve never actually had traditional enchiladas before, so I decided to make a soul food version of it. “What about it makes it soul food,” you ask? Okra, and I love it.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup italian sausage (ground)
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup okra
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup tomatoes (diced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of marinara sauce (chunky)
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella (shredded)
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place a non-stick skillet under medium heat and add the olive oil. Mix together the cumin, parsley, basil, paprika and set it to the side. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and the garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent. Add in the sausage and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the corn, beans, okra, and spice mixture. Mix until well incorporated. Then mix together the water and starch and add it to the skillet. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add in the tomatoes. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Take out your eight 6" corn tortillas, wrap them in a wet paper towel, place in the microwave for 45 seconds. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of your mixture to each tortilla, wrap each tortilla and add it to an 8 inch casserole dish with the folded sides down. Pour marinara sauce over the tortilla and then add your cheese on top. Place in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with rice and beans.
THE NUTRITION FACTS HERE ARE INDICATIVE.