This black bean and sweet potato chili is hearty, savory, and is sure to warm you up during those cold wintery months; it also conforms to the SOS (No Sugar, No Oil, No Salt) philosophy. Moreover, this is the first crock pot recipe on Being vegan. If you try it out, please leave a comment below and tell me how it turns out for you.
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 2 baked sweet potatoes, mashed
- 1 jar of tomato sals, 16 oz
- dried black beans, 1 lb bag
- 3 cups of water
- Since we are using dried beans, we will need to soak our beans. Add 4 quarts of water to a medium size pot, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, add your beans and let soak for an hour. While your beans are soaking, preheat your oven to 450 degrees, and then add your sweet potatoes. Let bake for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- After the beans are soaked, we need to start sautéing. Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Make sure that it is hot; since we are not using oil, make sure to have a bowl of water on hand to add to the skillet if the things start to stick. Add your onions and sauté until they are translucent, then add the garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes. Then add in your herbs and spices, add a few tbsp of water if needed, then add in your tomato paste, salsa, molasses and beans. Turn the heat down just a little.
- By this time, your sweet potatoes should be down. Take them out, remove the skin (be careful since they are hot), and mash them with a potato masher or fork. Then incorporate into the mixture in your skillet and let cook for 5 minutes while stirring continually.
- Once your 5 minutes are up, add the mixture to your crock pot and then add 3 cups of water or enough water to cover the mixture. Set the crock pot to low, and let cook for 8 hours or until the beans are soft and tender.
- Once they are done, let cool for a few minutes, serve, and top with some shredded vegan cheese of your choice.
THE NUTRITION FACTS HERE ARE INDICATIVE.